Monday, July 5, 2010

Man-Bench & Sand-Tastic

It's been about 2 months since I've worked on the car. However, with reaallllly good cause. I scored some solid oak cabinets from my neighbor. I was able to use these to make a great workbench. I took the workbench I had and chopped off about 2 feet and put some casters on it. I topped the new work bench off with some high quality plywood and polyurethaned it. It has a lazy susan too! So now I have a nice finish workbench and rolling workbench that can come out and be moved around the garage......nice.

I saw the 4th of July Holiday weekend as a perfect opportunity to jump on the bug. I had to do some paint removal on the fenders and hood. I had a feeling that there would be a fair amount of filler under the pink goo.

Sadly, I was right. Boy I spend the better two days stripping, sanding, and scraping. The final product was very nice though. What I found is that the parts are in great shape, especially for their age. There is some pitting in areas and perforations. Despite this, I should be able to weld up the trouble spots with minimal filler......the way it SHOULD be done.

The only two major parts that need scrubbing and cleaning are the doors and the engine deck lid. The deck lid will take some major energy. I kick myself because I forgot to bring it when I sandblasted the body.....damn! It's going to make cleaning the nooks and crannies tough, but I'm sure I can get it done.

My good friend, Jon, is going to come over next weekend. He IS the man! We're going to work on a mix of the nose, rear apron, side members under the heater channels, and fender & hood issues. I'm hoping to get lots of insight and direction. It's gettin' there!